If you have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and want to learn more about your condition, Diabetes UK provides a wealth of information about the different types of diabetes, what care to expect, dietary principles and treatments and how to look after your health.
You can order or print information leaflets.
Diabetes UK Careline 0345 123 2399
The following is a check list of what will take place at your Diabetes Annual Review
and may help you prepare for this consultation.
- Your consent will be obtained and an explanation of the procedure given.
- Your medical history will be discussed and updated.
- General health and well-being will be reviewed
- Lifestyle and behaviours will be discussed
- Medications and when you are taking them will be reviewed
- A physical examination will be undertaken
- Foot examination
- Injection sites if appropriate
- BP measurement
- A sample of urine will be tested
- Blood test results will be reviewed
- Your risk factors will be discussed with you
- Opportunity to discuss sexual health
- How to access support to manage your diabetes effectively
- Discuss your educational needs and personal goals
Note: Annual Reviews can be managed over a number of appointments and should not necessarily be limited to a once a year appointment.